Magento 2.4.2 is out and is loaded with upgrades benefitting both eCommerce store owners and Magento partners as well. Let us look at the performance, security enhancements, platform upgrades and other improvements in Magento 2.4.2 extracted from the official release notes.
Security Enhancements :
Magento 2.4.2’s security enhancements include 35+ bug fixes. The latest version includes support for cross-site scripting (XSS), close remote code execution (RCE) and SameSite attribute for cookies. Core Content Security Policy (CSP) has also been resolved. By standardizing the file system operations across Magento components, the latest version can prevent malicious uploads making your eCommerce store more defensive.
Magento Upgrade Compatibility Tool :
Say hello to Magento’s Upgrade Compatibility Tool’. With its ability to identify incompatible code customizations, the tool helps support and maintenance teams to be proactive while planning for an upgrade.
The tool can evaluate Magento PHP APIs and the GraphQL schema and generate reports containing issues that need to be resolved before upgrading. Though the tool aims at making the upgrade process more transparent and seamless, it is advised to perform regression testing to ensure zero incompatibilities.
The Alpha version of the Upgrade Compatibility is available for Magento Commerce users upgrading from 2.x to 2.3 and successive versions.
Platform Enhancements :
- Supports Elasticsearch 7.9.x
- Compatible with Varnish 6.4
- Supports Redix 6.x
- Compatible with Composer 2.x
- In-product guidance makes it easy for administrators to explore the system quickly.
Improved Frameworks :
Magento 2.4.2 has come up with functional improvements in areas like :
- Customer Account
- Cart and Checkout
- Staging and Preview
Performance enhancements :
On the performance front, the latest version of Magento has the capability to natively support complex catalogs up to 20x larger than Magento 2.4.1. Improved admin response time for deploying large catalogs and code level enhancements to better API performance are other significant performance improvements of Magento 2.4.2.
15 tips best practices to speed up your Magento 2 store’s performance.
- Localization support across stores
- Catalog permissions
- Product data retrieval for configurable products with many variants
- Customer object updated to support Remote purchasing assistance
PWA Studio enhancements :
Since Magento rolled out the PWA Studio, the platform has focussed on improving its eCommerce capabilities with every version. Here are some of the key enhancements to look out for in Magento 2.4.2.
- Support for internationalization and localization
- Support for multiple stores languages, currencies
- Strengthened extensibility
- Better client-side performance through Google Lighthouse
- My Account for Venia, the PWA storefront
6 reasons why you should build a PWA for your eCommerce website.
Media Gallery :
The New Role Resources in Magento 2.4.2 now allows store owners to restrict admin access for media gallery and enables merchants to control the following actions :
- Upload assets and insert media assets into the content
- Edit assets information
- Delete assets from the Media Gallery
- Manage folder structure
- Use image optimized for the web in the content
AWS S3 support enhancements :
- Magento 2.4.2 has Amazon Simple Storage Service (AWS S3) support for storing media files
- Object storage and future extensibility
- B2B, PageBuilder, and Adobe Stock Integration modules include AWS S3 support
Hire Magento Developers for USD 35 Per Hour
- Advanced reporting related issues fixed
- Apple Pay payment support
- Price sorting for out of stock bundled products
- Enhanced Page Builder content migration
- Improvements in Page builder CSS customization capabilities
Upgrade your eCommerce store to Magento 2.4.2 now
Now that you have a comprehensive idea of what the latest version of Magento 2 holds start planning for your upgrade now. You can find more information on Magento 2.4.2 features here – Magento Open Source 2.4.2 Release Notes | Magento Commerce 2.4.2 Release Notes.
Besides bringing in improved technical capabilities, security, and performance, keeping your Magento store upgraded can keep your total cost of ownership at the bare minimum. If you are looking for an official Magento partner to handle your upgrade to Magento 2.4.2, talk to us.