Migration from Magento 1 to Magento 2 – “Should you migrate or when to migrate” are bygone thoughts and now Magento retailers are looking at the details of “how to migrate?”
And also from technical, security, development and user experience standpoints, it’s important for every Magento store operating on 1.x to leverage the advancements in Magento 2.x. So, without further delay, let’s cut over to the migration part directly. This Magento 2 migration guide will walk you through the process.
To begin with, let’s start with a checklist of the things to be migrated in a Magento 2 migration:
- – Product Data
- – Customer Data
- – Order Data
- – Theme
- – Extensions
- – Custom Code
Magento 1 to Magento 2 Migration Plan
The following part consists of Magento 2 migration steps involved in getting your store migrated.
Step 1: Extensions Check
You should be checking the following:
– List of extensions used
– List of extensions that you don’t need anymore
– Specific data from extension that needs to be migrated
In case you are using custom-built extensions, make sure it is supported by Magento 2. Else, you will have to rebuild those from scratch.
Step 2: Get the Magento 2 store infrastructure ready
– Prepare a hardware system keeping in mind the system requirements and install Magento 2.x.
– Install Magento data migration tool.
– To add exceptions for data which you don’t want to be included in Magento 2 migration, you should perform custom changes in the Data Migration Tool.
Step 3: Initiate the migration steps
Before getting into the migration part, check whether the network access is available for the Data migration tool to connect to Magento 1 and Magento 2 databases.
– Identify the list of custom modules in the current version; check if the customization has an impact on core modules. If yes, those modules should be migrated on priority. Then follow with the migration of the remaining custom modules.
– Stop cron jobs and activities in Magento 1.x admin panel.
(Note: Do not stop the incremental activities like new orders, inventory updates, invoices etc until the new website is completely live)
– Migrate store settings and website.
– Perform manual copying of media files from Magento 1.x to 2.x store.
– Make use of the Data Migration Tool to bulk upload database from Magento 1 to 2.
– To migrate data gathered by extensions, you will have to download the Magento 2.x compatible version of the same extension.
– If there are differences in structure of the custom modules and extensions in the 1.x and 2.x versions, use the mapping files provided in the Data Migration Tool to set things right.
– Reindex all Magento 2.x indexers.
– There will be issues encountered at every step. They should be addressed till you get a clean version.
Step 4: Perform system integration testing
– Do a thorough overall integration testing to make the application devoid of any critical issues
Step 5: Getting prepared for go-live
Remember, your incremental data like reviews, comments, orders placed, auto invoices raised are yet to be updated to your new Magento 2.x store.
– Once the store settings and extensions data are moved, start moving your incremental data.
– Initiate Magento 2 migration of the incremental updates and simultaneously check for issues as well.
(Note: The incremental data should not be moved by copying Magento 1.x store data from live site to a staging server. Instead, it has to be moved from the live Magento 1.x server)
– In case if you find any issues, the incremental data updates can be stopped by pressing ‘Ctrl + C’ to fix those issues and resume.
Step 6: Turn off Magento 1.x and turn on Magento 2.x store
It is time to officially call off your Magento 1.x store and dive into your Magento 2.x store.
– Turn the maintenance mode on for your Magento 1 store. (from here the downtime of your Magento 1.x store starts)
– Start Magento 2 cron job.
– Cache the pages in Magento 2 site using a caching tool of your choice.
– Check your Magento 2 store thoroughly
– Change server settings directing it to Magento 2 (Magento 1.x downtime)
– And you are live now! Your new Magento 2.x store is ready for you and users.
These guidelines will help in planning your Magento 2 migration. A Magento development agency can provide you better advice on how to make use of these guidelines according to your store’s specifics.
If you think a Magento partner can help you out, talk to our experts right away.